I have taught painting and art history in a reputable Canadian art school for more than 25 years. Also, since 1997 I have led painting workshops on three continents for www.walkthearts.com. Hundreds of students have asked me the same question. How can I become a great artist, someone like Cézanne, Monet, Picasso, etc.? Can I become like them? The answer is a simple… yes! But how?
Besides having a strong will, and forgetting the television set, here are seven critical issues to consider:
(1) do not fear, be true to yourself;
(2) know your art history;
(3) tell new stories or tell your interesting stories;
(4) be aware of the state of the world and the philosophies of your time, without drowning in the flood of daily news;
(5) be aware of contemporary aesthetics;
(6) work every day, even if only for one hour per day; and
(7) find a representative who will effectively promote your art.
That is all.