Another Studio Italia Recipe
Fall is back, and cabbage is indeed an autumn comfort food. Cavolo Rosso alla Salina is a red cabbage recipe created by walkthearts and tasted by many participants of our painting workshops in Tuscany. It is perfect as a contorno (side sish). Try it, it will turn you into a cabbage lover!
This recipe is named after Tommaso Salini, a still-life painter of early Baroque.
Serves 4 people
- Olive oil (the necessary)
- 1,5 cup red pearl onions (whole)
- 1 clove garlic (finely chopped)
- 250 gms pancetta (cubed)
- 4 tbsp butter
- 1 red cabbage – around 1 kilo (sliced)
- ¾ cup dry red wine
- ¼ cup sweet Marsala
- 4 tbsp dry cranberries
- Kosher salt
- black pepper
- Wet generously a large skillet with olive oil.
- Add the onions and cook over medium high heat stirring constantly until easy to introduce them a knife (around 3 minutes). Add more olive oil if necessary.
- Add the garlic and the pancetta and brown over medium high heat. Add more olive oil if necessary.
- Add the butter and the sliced cabbage and stir well.
- Add the wine, the Marsala and the dry cranberries; cover and cook over medium high heat until the cabbage is al dente (around 10 minutes).
- Season with salt and pepper and serve creatively.
For more information about Studio Italia, our painting workshop in Tuscany offered every June and October, please visit our website at: http://www.walkthearts.com/_painting_workshops/art_painting_workshops_italy.shtml